Wednesday, February 19, 2014

Deciding what to quilt on the Crown Royal quilt

vaguely following the chalk lines
sketching it out in chalk
I finally finished the piecing of the Crown Royal quilt and got it on the frame.  With customer quilts waiting, I didn't want to spend too much time trying to decide what to quilt. 

My dilemma was keeping the quilting pattern fairly open.

I thought that a stem coming from the corner would look odd, so I changed it to a curly-Q
This quilt is totally flannel fabric and I wanted to keep a soft feel to it.  Sometimes it is a challenge for me to keep my quilting open.  I get used to intense quilting on some of the customer quilts, but who wants a stiff flannel quilt?  When I think flannel, I think soft and fluffy!

Another open space to decide on.
I finally chose to go with more feathers and swirls to repeat the design in the borders.  I ditched all around the center and the outer borders.

I wasn't too thrilled with the way it was looking as I progressed across the quilt.  Once it was all quilted and off the frame I decided it looked alright.

My only rules were to avoid the "Crown Royal"  letters and try to keep my spacing uniform.  Sometimes being repetitive can be such a blessing!  (at least in my long-arm world)

This took 3 days to quilt because I still have swelling and a dull ache in my ankle when I stand on it for long periods of time.  Soft tissue damage can certainly take a long time to heal.

I wonder if the one that I am making this quilt for would have given me a couple of what goes into the bag.... would the quilt have turned out different?  Would I have been calmer...
or just hungover.

I left these little corner squares for last and finally decided once again to repeat those swirls and feathers.  All I had to do was to chalk out a circle and put a swirl in the center, then follow the circle around with feathers. 

The top and bottom borders have a very simple pattern forming an X.

My helper was napping.  I didn't want to wake him and so it's not a very good picture of the whole quilt.
I like the back as well as the front.  Now I just need to get my binding on and it is FINISHED!  That is one of my favorite words.

I told myself (and Anita) that I was going to try to finish a UFO every month this year.  I still have good intentions of completing that goal and this will be the project  for January.  That means I have 9 days to get a binding on this quilt and finish one more before March arrives.

I linked this post to Judy Laquidara's design wall, Link a Finish Friday, Off the wall Friday, and also linked to Freemotion by the River's Linky Tuesday.
Be sure to go see the beautiful projects that others are working on!


  1. The Crown Royal quilt looks perfect with the quilting you have done! I still can't get over how many bottles of Crown Royal went "into" this quilt! Thanks for sharing.
    Freemotion by the River Linky Party Tuesday

  2. It's the best crown royal quilt I've seen. You did a nice job on it.

  3. Here's a toast to you, your quilting is the "crowning" touch. Well done!

  4. Love it! Great royal colors, too!